Saturday, February 11, 2012

Back With Another IKEA Hack









































We used to have a walk-in closet attached to our master bedroom, which seemed a bit of a waste of space in our little house.  So we decided it would make more sense to turn it into an office instead, that is until we found out we were pregnant again.  Then it made more sense to turn it into another nursery (which i'll cover in future posts).  So out with the walk-in closet, in with the new nursery.  This meant we needed a new place to store our clothes.  Since we liked how the built in IKEA PAX closets worked out in Sidney's room, we thought we'd do it again, but with a few added features.  You can click here to  see my feature on IKEA Hackers.


We started with two IKEA PAX units, which standing on their own aren't very attractive.

So i decided i'd fill in the rest of the wall with custom home-made cabinets on either side, but because i didn't want the built-ins to look too monolithic, i decided to set back the side cabinets, creating a "breakfront" appearance.

I started by building a nice level platform upon which the PAX and side cabinets would stand upon:



Then i cut and painted all the pieces for the 2 side cabinets:

A little routing, gluing and nailing and i had my side cabinets, using the same method as when i built my vanity):

Then i put them in place and attached all four cabinets together and secured them to the wall and the platform (i know it's still not attractive yet):

Then i added the face frames on the two side cabinets, the gables on the exposed PAX sides and the frieze and toe kicks:

In the bottom half of each side cabinet i drilled holes to allow for adjustable shelving, the upper half will remain open shelving for books and display:


Then it came time to actually build-in the built-ins, by wrapping the baseboard and crown moulding over top of the frieze and the toe kicks.  I also had custom doors built for the PAX and the bottom half of the side cabinets:
After priming, painting and installing door handles, i now present the pretty stuff - Voila:




30 comments:

Shannon said...

Oh my gosh you are talented!!!
This is unbelievable!!!

I love the symmetry

Gooood jobbie!!!!

Rachel said...

Found you on houseblogging. These built-ins are GREAT!!! I'm not anywhere near this stage with my house, but it's exciting to see how Ikea stuff can be customized (I have a secret fear of Ikea that I need to get over quickly!). Very cool!

Kristine said...

Super inspiring! We're in the process of renovating our master bedroom and bought a bunch of Ikea PAX units which we are hoping to make look more built-in. I love how yours turned out, hopefully ours will be half as good as yours!

Maggie {Okay, now what?} said...

So Funny I stopped by to reference your Pax closet in the nursery and here you are at it again. Looks amazing. Once again I am impressed. Did you make all the doors too? I'll be curious to see you closet turned nursery.

Rachel said...

this is fantastic!

Roncy Vic said...

Thanks everyone!

Maggie, while i had every intention of building the doors myself, it just took me too long to get around to it. Ever since Sidney was born, i just don't get as much done as i used to, i'd rather hang out with her when i have free time. I imagine you may experience the same thing soon. So i hired a carpenter to make them for me, while i focused on trying to get the nursery ready.

Meg said...

Wow! I am floored. That is just gorgeous. Your design inspires me!

Jen @ RamblingRenovators said...

Those turned out great! The setback was a smart idea. I still love the PAX units we have in our nursery. They really are versatile units.

Designwali said...

wow!! serious skills here!

Kathy said...

As always, an amazing job. Looks fantastic. And congrats on second baby to come !

LifeBegins@Thirty said...

I am in love. Could you come do that for us in our master?!

Please?

:-)

Tanja @ Postmodern Hostess said...

Just found your blog via Okay, Now What? and I love it! This project is AMAZING!

Keira said...

This is fabulous! Even your baseboard lines up with the original. Nice work!

Anonymous said...

That is sick. Inspiring - built ins ARE possible..

the MASH said...

That looks amazing! Makes me want to get out the drill.

Melissa at HOUSEography said...

Wow! Wow! Wow!!!!!!! That looks totally amazing. You are super talented. Next time no Ikea for you!!!

Mississauga Real Estate said...

Amazing storages.....never even thought about.These pictures are inspiring me to take my drill out and make these type of wardrobes for myself too.

Sixty-Fifth Avenue said...

so very fabulous!! i love what you did with the pax in your earlier post too. thanks for the inspiration as we live in an old home with a tiny master closet.

Rewind That Back said...

These look great. Was the cost considerably lower than getting a complete custom built-in. I have a similar space but dont want to drop a ton of money on a custom job.

Roncy Vic said...

@ Rewind That Back

While i didn't get a quote for custom, i am certain that using the Pax as the foundation is considerably less, especially if you find doors from IKEA that you like. For example if you went with the Birkeland PAX doors and then built the side cabinets, so that you could use Lidi kitchen cabinet doors. I spent about $200 in materials to build the 2 side cabinets and to build it all in. The custom doors cost more than everything else combined. I would hate to see what custom cabinets and building it in would cost.

Anonymous said...

Great job! The cabinets look fantastic. Do you mind sharing the contact for the carpenter who built the doors? I need a few custom kitchen cabinet doors made.
Thanks!
Michelle.

Roncy Vic said...

Hi Michelle,

Unfortunately the carpenter that we hired to build the doors, started to experience health issues around the time of completion, so i won't be passing along his contact info for now. However I can certainly give some recommendations on kitchen cabinet doors. Feel free to email me any questions you may have at kylelin1@gmail.com

Houses for Sale in Dufferin Grove said...

The blog was absolutely fantastic!Lots of great information and inspiration, both of which we all need! Keep 'em coming... you all do such a great job at such concepts. I can't tell you how much I, for one appreciate all you do!

Toronto Homes for Sale said...

Really nice artistic work shown above. Thanks for the sharing of the same ideas. They would be helpful for me at least.

D D said...

this is great! i'm mooving in some moths ... so - this is one of the ideas i really will "follow" :)

High Hopes said...

I'm really inspired, thank you for sharing your build. your bedroom size/shape is exactly the same as ours so it is easy to envision how beautiful Pax can be thanks to your post!

ourlittlesliceofhappy said...

I love how you added molding to make your Pax units look built-in. After recently moving, we installed a Pax wardrobe in our entryway because we had no closet for coats. Now we have a 3-inch gap at the top we would love to close up and dress up with crown molding. I am wondering how you attached yours. Our doors reach all the way to the top of the box and we are really struggling with how to get anything up there. We'd appreciate your suggestions.

Kyle said...

Thanks for your comment. To attach the filler that goes behind the crown moulding, I simply screwed a 2 x 4 (i laid the 2 x 4 so that it was on the 1.5" edge) to the top of the Pax unit, from inside the Pax. This acted as blocking to which I could nail the flat filler piece. I then nailed the crown moulding to the filler piece and the ceiling. A little caulking and paint after that and you're all set. Hope this helps, good luck!

Anonymous said...

I can't believe how great these look. Well done! Would you please explain what the gables on the exposed sides of the Pax are? Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Great hack and thanks for providing me with the inspiration to attempt this myself. Here's a photo (95% complete): http://i.imgur.com/1F30vqF.jpg